The Senior Research Assistant/Analyst undertakes joint research assignments with senior fellows, primarily on the federal budget, the deficit, and related legislative and policy options, as well as various other current issues in fiscal and monetary policy and health economics. Communicate with outside and inside authors; assist with events. Title and salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
Bachelor’s degree in economics, mathematics, public policy or a social science with a minor in economics required. Master’s degree in a similar field preferred, but not required. Minimum one year of work experience in economics and/or computer modeling required. Competence to undertake research assignments with little supervision.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
50% Research Analysis
- Provide analytical reviews and summaries of existing literature pertinent to assigned topic.
- Collect and organize data and documents from various sources including electronic databases, libraries, and government documents.
- Analyze data, using spreadsheets and statistical packages. Produce charts and tables containing the results.
40% Writing and Editing
- Co-author papers and blog posts with senior research staff.
- Develop detailed outlines and first drafts of papers or sections of papers and work closely with senior research staff through the publication process.
- Help adapt papers to reach various audiences through summaries, blog posts, data visualization, and other methods.
10% Administrative Support
- Assist Hutchins Center leadership with day-to-day activities of the Center, including research, policy, outreach, scheduling, and other activities as assigned.
- Assist with Hutchins Center events as needed, including meeting preparation, calendar support, and logistics for public events, private roundtables, and additional activities.
- Other duties as assigned.